Sunday 9 November 2014

Borrow your Love


Taiwanese title: 借用一下你的愛 (借用一下你的爱)

14 episodes
Aired on CTV
From 2013 March to June

Main cast:


  • Amanda Chu: Xie Ping An 謝平安
  • Dylan Kuo: Ye Chen 葉晨
  • Shi Yi Nan: Li Zi Wen 黎子文
  • Cherry Hsia: Xie Xi Le 謝喜樂
  • Linda Liu: Bai Ming Li 白明俐
  • Allen Chao: Li Shi Cheng 季世城
  • Huang Ke Jing: Ji Li Sa 季麗莎
  • Chen Qiao Wei: Li Huo Ying 季霍英

  • Notes:
    Hello Mother from Autumn's concerto!
    And I totally didn't recognise Amanda Chu from the same drama.
    Hey Cherry Hsia! I just watched you on Alice in Wonder city.

     

    Review: +/-


    Title: I'm glad I have this category so I can say how bad this title is. The title is misleading because it screams romance while romance is not a focus. As for the synopsis from Dramawiki: "Xie Ping An and Ye Chen pretended to be a couple in order to hook up their friends. However, the mismatch duo find themselves attracted to one another instead.", it's just false: this is not the premise of this drama.

    Girls: They are two orphans who have grown up together and who share a sisterly bond. Girl is brash while Other girl is sweet and timid.

    Boys: Full disclosure, this is the first time I thought that I'd like to have a boyfriend like a Boy. And Dylan Kuo totally deserves a spot on this list. I'm just not sure who to kick out. (Edit: now, I know who to kick out, so he's on it.)

    All four main characters are interesting and I cared about them. (++++)

    Relationships: I'm going to talk about the relationships first. The drama starts with hallmarks of romance: multiple coincidental meetings, initial dislike, forced interaction... however, it becomes quickly apparent that the focus will be on Girls' relationship. I didn't mind. (+)

    Plot: The plot is character-based. It advances briskly (which allows for Boy to figure things out and be smart). One piece of information I thought would last episodes before being revealed turned out to be the premise of the drama. (++)

    However, the drama suffers from a fatal case of last episode syndrome. It should be obvious but apparently, it's not (see also Heartstrings). A finale is supposed to wrap up the threads, and possibly give us an epilogue. It SHOULD NOT introduce lame cliché pointless new threads that are resolved in ten minutes. There was something else I disliked but it's more subjective. (--)

    Other characters: The villain is after my heart, complex with clear motivations, though crazy in execution.

    But, there is another very important character who is introduced as ruthless, not only by other people but we also see them in action. Then, at the end of the drama, they're practically a saint. I mean, I can believe that they're not just a monster but I wish their greyer parts were still acknowledged just so I know I've been watching the same events as the characters. Unfortunately, some secondary characters who had potential are also inconsistent.

    Most egregious clichés: Everyone is an orphan. Anyone can be CEO.

    Funny factor? A scene made me laugh out loud for minutes. I kind of felt bad about it because it's really really really embarrassing.
    As often, it gradually becomes darker, though there are still comedic moments.

    Music: Serviceable

    What the... ? Boy has the weirdest phobia.

    Bottom line: While watching, I couldn't decide between a + or a +/-. I don't know why because the characters, the plot, the relationships, everything was compelling. Maybe it was some details, maybe I miss romance... Anyway, the ending sealed it for me: +/-

    No comments:

    Post a Comment